Advice For A Happy Marriage
How do we create a happy marriage? This is the question we are talking about today. We just celebrated ten years of marriage and I am still walking around on cloud nine. I am absolutely crazy in love with my husband. I give him all the credit because he is so amazing, supportive, present, and loving. Plus, he’s a total hottie!
Here on the blog, I call him Mr. Wonderful. He is my Mr. Wonderful. This post is going to be focused on happy marriage tips and advice I have received over the years and believe in so you can share them with your Mr. or Mrs. Wonderful. Here we go.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
Ways To Show Your Husband You Love Him
- Greet him when he comes home. Meet him at the door with a kiss and some kind words. Let him know he was missed.
- Notice what he is doing right or doing well and then compliment him for his efforts or actions.
- Ask him for advice and then take his advice. No arguing or questioning. Just trust him.
- Write him sticky note love notes or leave little gifts in his car or on his pillow.
- Do one of his chores for him (one he really doesn’t like) or wash his car for him. Any act of service will be appreciated.
- Cook him his favorite dinner or dessert.
- Plan a few date nights. Buy the tickets, have the address ready, know where you are going to eat… The whole deal.
- Meet him for lunch on a workday, and pick a place he loves to eat.
- Touch him. When you are walking by stop for a quick hug, when walking together or sitting next to each other, hold his hand. Hug and kiss him often.
- Make your love life a priority and a pleasure. Always.
Ways To Tell Your Husband You Love Him
Finish these statements…
- I really appreciate it when…
- I am grateful that you…
- I’ve learned a lot from you, like…
- I love the way you look in…
- It makes me smile when you…
- Thank you for…
- You are the best…
- I think it’s adorable when you…
- I adore the way you…
- I love you because…
Habits for a Healthy Marriage
- Make time for each other. Whether this means dinners with no phones, evening walks, date nights, whatever. Make the time and protect it.
- Be intimate. Don’t make your love life into a job or let it become an afterthought. Stay passionate.
- When you are thinking about your partner make sure you let them know. Even a quick text is valuable. A phone call – even better. But if possible, in-person is always the best. Sometimes they are just in the next room.
- Pray for each other and with each other.
- Work as a team in your household and as volunteers.
- Use your manners. Always say please and thank you. No name-calling, insulting, or bossing. Be kind and uplift them. The rest of the world won’t always be either.
- Compliment each other. Often.
- Apologize. Admit it when you are wrong and apologize.
- Support each other. Whatever they are working on or working for or wishing for, support them in every way you can. Help them to live their best life and make the most of their opportunities.
- Reminisce together. Keep those stories alive. Capture special moments in pictures or in words so you can return to them again and again. Make your story one that can be read or seen.
Ways To Date Your Husband
My husband and I take turns planning one date every other month. We both always try to plan a date that the other one will really love. Putting your partner first teaches you a lot about them and experiencing life and having fun adventures together is so important to a relationship. Here are some ideas…
- Make errands into dates. If you have to go to the grocery store pick out an extra meal or dessert to cook together when you get home. Have to run into Walmart, buy each other a small gift (something five dollars or less), need to run to pay a utility bill, stop at a park and take a quick walk together on the way home.
- Take a class together. A cooking class, a painting class, a beer-brewing class… Whatever as long as you are doing it together. We took our carry permit class together and ended up at the shooting range and eating lunch and supper together that day. We had a ball together.
- Getaway for an overnight! Vacation doesn’t have to mean a week in the tropics, or even a whole weekend anywhere. Pick a destination you can get to in less than four hours and then plan an overnight. Have adventures together.
- Do kid stuff! Tap into your inner child and go roller skating or ice skating, or sledding together. Head out to an amusement park or a water park. How about the zoo or a museum? Even a trip to the swings at the park can be romantic. Especially if you bring a picnic.
- Go see a show! It can be a play, a broadway musical that’s come to town, a ballet, a symphony, a concert, or a movie.
- Play games together. Board games, card games, or our favorite- video games. These are the most affordable date nights. Don’t forget the snacks.
- Go to an arcade, a bowling alley, or a pool hall. You don’t have to be good at bowling, pinball, or pool to have fun with this date idea. We love all three of these. If nothing else they are all good for a laugh.
- Take a hike! Even if you aren’t up for climbing to the top of a mountain, a casual walk through nature is always time well spent. Visit your state parks or neighborhood walking trails.
- Daytrip! This is one of my very favorite date ideas. There are so many places you can visit with a day trip. We like to visit Boone or Little Switzerland, or Gatlinburg, or Asheville. Check out what places are close to you and go explore.
- Take a wine or food tour. I can’t wait to make this one a reality. We have already decided which wine tour we want to take and the food tour we have picked is out of Asheville. Why not search for food or wine tours near you?
Happy Marriage Quotes and Sayings
“My husband has made me laugh. Wiped my tears. Hugged me tight. Watched me succeed. Seen me fail. Kept me strong. My husband is a promise that I will have a friend forever.”– Unknown
“A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.”– Mignon McLaughlin
“If I get married, I want to be very married.”– Audrey Hepburn
“What greater thing is there for two human souls, than to feel that they are joined for life–to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in silent unspeakable memories at the moment of the last parting?”– George Eliot
“The greatest marriages are built on teamwork. A mutual respect, a healthy dose of admiration, and a never-ending portion of love and grace.”– Fawn Weaver
I hope this happy marriage advice has brought you some inspiration. Researching these marriage tips has certainly got me motivated to pour into my own marriage.
So many of these date ideas we put on our list right before the pandemic happened and I am so anxious to get back to a world where it is safe to explore together and so grateful for every date we have already been blessed to share with each other.
I am encouraged by all the many simple ways I can show my husband how much I love him and all the ways I can tell my husband that I love him. It’s not hard. It’s about being present and saying what we are already thinking. Noticing why this man we married is so precious and so amazing and celebrating that together.
A happy marriage requires intention. It is so important that we don’t take it for granted. It should be treasured and protected and enjoyed. So that’s how I plan to spend the rest of my life. It’s going to be beautiful.
I am a wife that received a lot of advice from other wives and husbands and has my own experience but if you are looking for some actual science you may want to check with the experts like this article and other resources from getlasting – 10 Best Pieces of Marriage Advice.
Wishing you all of the best,
More posts just for you!
- Fall Date Ideas
- Best Quotes and Sayings About Love for Valentine’s Day
- I Love My Family Journal Prompts
Recent Posts from Gwen!
- How To Prepare Your Family To Go Back To School
- Genuinely Free Career Quiz Options for Teens and Adults
- How To Enjoy A Family Vacation On Edisto Island
- How To Create Solid House Rules For Your Family
- How To Make The Most of Your Summer Break
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! Perhaps we can offer you tasty recipes? Maybe our inspirational quotes are just what you need in your life! Perhaps you’ve been wondering where to take that family vacation? Maybe you want to know the truth about what us homeschoolers really do all day! Maybe you love photography and see it as an art, just like me! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.