Homeschooling offers a unique opportunity to teach powerful life skills during class time. But how does a homeschooling family know where to begin? What lessons are essential? As a homeschool parent myself, I have done the research and I’m ready to share the list! So, let’s dive into the key life skills every great homeschool education includes.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
Important Life Skills for Young Adults
- How to set up a manageable schedule.
- How to set five year, one year, and quarterly SMART goals.
Managing and Making Money
- How to write a great resume
- How to apply for a job
- How to prepare for and make a great impression at a job interview
- Paying Bills
- Monitoring Accounts Online
- The importance of saving.
- The 50/20/30 rule
- How to use credit cards to build credit scores without going into debt.
- How to file taxes.
- How to add air to a tire.
- How to change a tire.
- Set up a maintenance schedule.
- How to compare gas prices.
- Use jumper cables.
Home and Family Maintenance
- Lawn care. Mowing and raking.
- How to unclog a toilet or drain.
- How to prepare your home for flooding.
- How to prepare for a situation where you might lose power.
- How to use a fire extinguisher.
- How to change furnace filters.
- Meal Planning
- How to create balanced meals (protein, vegetable, carb)
- Grocery Shopping
- How to use appliances in the kitchen.
- Sew a button.
- Iron or steam.
Physical & Mental Health
- How to recognize when your mental health is unstable.
- Diet, exercise, and mindfulness and their impact on mental health.
- Understanding supplements.
- How to manage healthy self-esteem.
- Coping mechanisms for stress and anxiety.
- How to stand up for yourself.
- How to set healthy boundaries.
- Understanding your health insurance.
- How to fill out admittance and HIPPA forms.
- The importance of annual physicals.
- Making healthy choices. (Diet and Exercise)
- Understanding Social Media and how it affects your mental health.
- Community Etiquette.
- How to register and vote.
- How to get involved with the community through volunteering and service opportunities.
- How to schedule appointments.
- Social Skills.
- How to write a professional email.
Resources to teach teens life skills…
If you are not sure where to find the resources to teach these items, I can tell you that I reference a lot of youtube videos for the home stuff.
As far as the health and nutrition stuff, I adore Apologia’s Health and Nutrition curriculum.
Car maintenance is something that I am counting on his Dad to teach him, but an uncle or a knowledgeable aunt could do the trick too.
For time management, there are countless resources online. Just look up SMART goals and daily schedule planning. I do know that SMART Goals Made Simple by SJ Scott is popular.
T learned most of the money stuff from his Money Matters books. There is a Money Matters workbook and a small Money Matters textbook. He also took an economics class through Varsity Tutors that filled in the blanks on markets and investing. He will be taking his final economics course through Future Learn which covers planning and budgeting.
For fire safety and how to use a fire extinguisher, you can find several free lesson plans from NFPA. Also, here is a quick video from OSHA all about fire extinguishers.
A lot of this is hands-on learning. Give them the reins and let them go. T has been responsible for doing the meal planning, ordering the items for curbside pickup, and keeping it within budget several times. Hands-on learning is the stickiest kind. There are so many real-life opportunities to teach. Let’s all take advantage of them. That’s what homeschoolers do!
Ocean-Themed End of the School Year Sheets$0.00
Summer Reading Challenge PacketProduct on sale
Little Bird’s Day Out Language Packet$9.99
Easter Packet for Kids$4.99
Nature Poetry Unit Study$14.99
Natural Easter Egg Dyes Egg-periment$0.00
Easter Story Snack Pack Tags & Scripture Cards$5.00
Paper Crown Pattern Printable$3.99
Recent posts from Geez, Gwen!
- Easy Summer Kids Crafts
- Award-Winning Summer Books for Kids
- Unique and Meaningful Mothers Day Gift Ideas
- Ten Genuinely Fun Date Ideas Perfect for Spring Romance
- Best Mother’s Day Quotes To Inspire Mothers
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! We are a family-focused blog so we have a lot of inspiration and encouragement for you and your loved ones. Perhaps we can offer you some simple yet tasty recipes to make your weeknights easier? Perhaps you’ve been wondering how to bring your family closer together or strengthen your marriage? Maybe you’re looking for fun family activities you can enjoy together. Perhaps it’s been too long since your last date night and you need inspiration. Maybe you just want to know the truth about what we homeschoolers really do all day! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter?
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.