I wanted to share a piece of the curriculum we will be using as part of T’s 5th-grade year. It is GIS Goes Around the World In 80 Days. To download the Teachers Guide click here. This includes the Teacher Instructions, Student Instructions, Student Answer Sheets, and Answer Key.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
Around The World In 80 Days by Jules Verne.
Around the World in Eighty Days is a classic adventure novel by the French writer Jules Verne, published in 1873. In the story, Phileas Fogg of London and his newly employed French valet Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the world in 80 days on a £20,000 wager (roughly £1.6 million today) set by his friends at the Reform Club. It is one of Verne’s most acclaimed works.
This wonderful lesson plan from GIS relates to the book, Around The World In 80 Days by J. Verne. You can get a copy of the book on Amazon for less than $7.00. It meets National Science Education Standards for Grades 5-8 and National Math Standards for Grades 5-8. The teacher’s guide will spell out all the details.
I love this lesson plan because it includes:
- The use of the book which is a classic
- Countless amazing online features such as maps which teach about time zones and reading grid maps
- An 1842 School Atlas Study
- History of the Reform Club
- Highlights the differences in transportation from 1842 to modern times and highlights the progress mankind has made
- Lessons covering longitude and latitude
- Covers physical geography
- There are studies on plates, earthquakes and volcanoes
- There are climate lessons
- Distance measurement
- Surface currents and global wind patterns
- 1875 Railroad Map compared to today’s railroads
- Discussions on sea travel covering speed traveled by knots etc.
- Vocabulary Lists
- and much more…
At the conclusion of the lesson there is an essay assignment called, Plan Your Own Adventure which asks them to come up with a mission, choose where they would go, explain what equipment they would need and what obstacles they may expect to encounter.
We are looking forward to this journey and have found a few other complimentary resources to include as we travel from London, all around world reaching destinations such as Bombay, Brindisi, Calcutta, Hong Kong, Yokahama, Suez, New York City and San Francisco.
- Google Earth
- Film Version of Around the World In 80 Days
- Eat Your Way Around The World Cookbook by Jamie Aramini
Marshmallow Tower Engineering Project Worksheet$0.99
Fall In The Forest – Fall-Themed Printable Worksheet ActivitiesProduct on sale
2021 Student Goal Setting WorksheetProduct on sale
Endangered Species Worksheets$0.99
Hatchet Worksheet Series$1.99
National Day of Prayer Printable Workbook$0.00
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! Perhaps we can offer you tasty recipes? Maybe our inspirational quotes are just what you need in your life! Perhaps you’ve been wondering where to take that family vacation? Maybe you want to know the truth about what us homeschoolers really do all day! Maybe you love photography and see it as an art, just like me! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter.
Latest Posts from Geez, Gwen!
- Every Great Homeschool Education Teaches These Key Life Skills
- Valentine’s Gifts You Can Bake
- Fun Ways To Bring Creativity Into Your Family Life
- How To Live Life To The Fullest
- New Years Quotes and Sayings – Top Ten List
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.