A beautiful and simple winter craft to do with the kids…
I love salt dough ornaments. This is a winter craft I’ve been doing since I was a very little girl. These are so simple to make, require very little in the way of supplies, and produce beautiful ornaments that will become treasured keepsakes or gifts for family members.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
What you will need to make salt dough ornaments:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/3 cup water
- cookie cutters
- drinking straw
- parchment paper
- rolling pin
- string, ribbon, or twine
- Optional acrylic paint & brush
- Optional stamps for decorating
Directions to Make Salt Dough Ornaments
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour and salt.
- Slowly add water, mixing until a dough ball has formed. (You may need an extra Tbsp of water)
- Knead the dough for five to ten minutes. Fold, push, fold, push.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and move to a parchment-lined pan.
- Gather your scraps and repeat the process until you have used all of your dough.
- If you are using stamps, stamp your creations.
- Use the straw to create a hole for your ribbon.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven for one hour. Turn your ornaments over halfway through baking.
- Remove and cool completely.
- If you are painting wait for them to dry completely before threading them with ribbon.
Watch a Video on How To Make Salt Dough Ornaments
More Winter Craft Ideas
- Giant Brown Bag Snowflake DIY
- Advent Calendar Activity Ideas – Family Activities, Crafts, and Kindness
- DIY Christmas Gifts for Kids To Make and Give
- Beautiful Painted Paper Snowflake DIY Decorations
- Printable Christmas Cards For Kids To Complete – Christmas Art
Recent Posts from Geez, Gwen!
- Amazon Black Friday Sales Families Love!
- Gratitude Journaling for Kids
- Simple Sheet Music Christmas Ornament
- How To Make Salt Dough Ornaments
- Christmas Kindness
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! We are a family-focused blog so we have a lot of inspiration and encouragement for you and your loved ones. Perhaps we can offer you some simple yet tasty recipes to make your weeknights easier. Perhaps you’ve wondered how to bring your family closer together or strengthen your marriage. Maybe you’re looking for fun family activities you can enjoy together. Perhaps it’s been too long since your last date night and you need inspiration. Maybe you just want to know the truth about what we homeschoolers really do all day! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter.
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.
Winter Night Craft and Activity Packet$6.99
Free Scripture Cards for Kids$0.00
30 Days of Gratitude Writing Prompt Checklist for Kids$0.00
Counting Blessings Gratitude Activity for Kids$5.99
Fall Counting Pack$0.00
The Kindness Matters To Me Packet$12.99
Student Field Trip Journal$3.99
Homeschool Field Trip Planner$11.99
Hello Harvest Moon Book Companion$6.99