I love a shimmery painted paper snowflake. There is something about the simplest Christmas decorations that I adore above the rest. I guess I am nostalgic for times when everything was simpler. So, this year I decided to bring home my love of painted snowflakes by not just making them but adding some sparkle just like the real thing. After painting and flattening, I put them up like a backsplash behind the mantle. Let me show you how.
** This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
Paper Snowflake Tutorials
I found several different tutorials that reminded me of how to fold the paper and even offered outlines. After making about five this way I was able to get creative and make my own designs. You can too. But here are some of the tutorials I used to get going.
- How To Make Paper Snowflakes – Martha Stewart
- How To Make 6-Pointed Paper Snowflakes – Instructables
- DIY 3D Paper Snowflakes from Craft Box Girls
Once you have made as many snowflakes as you want in different sizes you can call it good. They can be flattened and hung without getting dressed up, but you know I love to paint.
How To Make Your Paper Snowflakes Sparkle
So, once I had cut out several snowflakes in different sizes I had to add some shimmer. Obviously. Because the Christmas decorations on my mantle are themed white and gold, I decided to go with gold metallic paint. I used both acrylic (the brighter gold) and metallic watercolors (the lighter background wash).
I painted some completely, others I just gave some golden highlights, and some I left pure white. Snowflakes are best known for each one being unique, so that was my goal.
Final Steps To Beautiful Painted Paper Snowflakes
Once your snowflakes are completely dry you’ll need to press them to flatten them out. I use books for this. Tuck them carefully in between the pages making sure no edges are bent and let them press overnight.
Once you have everything pressed and ready, it’s time to figure out how you want to lay out everything. Move them around until you find your favorite design.
How To Hang Your Painted Paper Snowflakes
I wanted to put mine on the wall behind my mantle so I used tape. Yes, regular Scotch tape. I have tried using other things like various poster putty brands which work well on other surfaces in my home but for some reason can’t hang on to this particular surface.
I just make small rolls of the tape and then cut them to the sizes I need. See the picture below for an example.
So, here is my final project. My paper snowflake blizzard!
I really love them. These painted paper snowflakes are so cheerful and they glitter and shimmer when you walk by. I will probably make this a permanent new addition to my Christmas decor.
If you don’t want to display your painted paper snowflakes as I did, you can also string your snowflakes and hang them as a garland like these 3D snowflake garlands from Art Bar. You can even have your kids make a snowflake wreath like this one from What We Do All Day. I also like to stick them to my window panes.
Any way you display them, they will make an adorable and simple Christmas decoration.
Let us know what your favorite simple Christmas decoration is in the comments section below. We love to hear from you. Also, before you go, make sure to enter this amazing Christmas Giveaway!
It is your responsibility to read the terms and conditions upon entering. By entering, all entrants understand that they are subject to being added to each of the participating blogger’s email lists.
Welcome to the 12 Days of Christmas Giveaways, brought to you by the Homeschool Bloggers Collective!
This giveaway is open worldwide for digital items and US-only for physical items. One of the giveaway entry options gives you the chance to tell us what you would most like to win! The giveaway runs through December 14th, 2020, and we will be choosing twelve different winners for these amazing prizes!
As a bonus, ALL entrants get a special present of Holiday Helpers! Go here to download your bundle through December 23rd.
· The Ancient History Online Course is a full-year-length, family-style course geared toward middle and high schoolers that is designed to be parent-graded. Lessons include reading, research, videos, external links, and hands-on projects. Broad topics covered include: Egypt, Greece, Rome, Israel, Northern Europe, Middle East, India, Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Each topic has several lessons within it. ($25)
· The Roman Britain Virtual Tour & Unit Study will take you on a virtual tour of one of the world’s most famous museum galleries that contain the Roman history in Britain exhibits. You will visit the gallery and explore the museum collections and then enjoy completing the activities to learn more about Roman History in Britain. ($12)
· Win the YELLOWSTONE & NATIONAL PARKS BUNDLE! Three Geography Guided Research Units covering the Yellowstone National Park, Bison Unit, and worksheets to do a report on any national park. ($11.99)
· Math on the Farm will encourage your child to learn about math in a fun way! The Art Kit’s bundle includes farm themed math story cards, even and odd egg sorting, less than/more than chicks, and sorting farm animals by size, your child will love working on these important concepts with you! ($10)
· Win a mystery box chock full of middle grade novels to use in your school! ($40)
· Plan your entire Homeschool Year with this comprehensive Printable Planner! The planning pages can be copied over and over to help you be the best homeschool mom that you can be. 31 pages, including front and back covers are included. We’ve also provided undated Calendar Pages, so that you can use the planner year after year. ($12.99)
· Win a three-month subscription to Online Art for Kids, best suited for kids ages 5 & up, allow room for big imaginations while establishing foundational art techniques that will be needed during advanced art courses later on. Your Online Art for Kids subscription will give your family unlimited lifetime access to the library of courses and projects! The short incremental lessons are great for moms that have big to-do lists and little ones with short attention spans. ($45)
· How to Help Your Struggling Learner at Home will teach you how to identify your child’s strengths and capitalize on them to bolster their weaknesses. You will also learn the easy, but proven, five-step process to take your child from struggling to excelling. It’s the same system I used with my own children! ($27)
· Win a $15 gift card to spend on anything you want in the Peace Creek Crafts & Designs Shop! ($15)
· Win a complete set of books from Happy Homeschooling Mum! All three of Ashley’s books in paperback format, including You Are Wondrous, Lost Poems of a Functioning Mother, and Carry Me Along. ($32)
· The Christmas Science Projects: 4 Favorite Activities Based on Children’s Books bundle includes 4 science projects in the fields of chemistry, physics, biology, and engineering. Each experiment ties in with a popular children’s Christmas picture book. ($10)
· The Christmas Countdown Advent Ideas Kit has everything You Need To Plan And Enjoy Your Christmas Countdown! ($9.99)
The Latest Posts from Geez, Gwen!
- The Winter Book Club Is Live
- Gratitude Journaling for Kids
- Simple Sheet Music Christmas Ornament
- How To Make Salt Dough Ornaments
- Christmas Kindness
Christmas Bible Study for Kids – Study From Luke$5.99
Christmas Countdown Family Activity Planner$4.99
Tiny Tim – Printable Christmas Quote by Dickens$1.99
Set of Three Printable Christmas Cards for Kids$1.99
Christmas Thank You Note For Delivery Drivers$1.99
Christmas Pictionary Printable Game$0.00
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! We are a family-focused blog so we have a lot of inspiration and encouragement for you and your loved ones. Perhaps we can offer you some simple yet tasty recipes to make your weeknights easier. Perhaps you’ve wondered how to bring your family closer together or strengthen your marriage. Maybe you’re looking for fun family activities you can enjoy together. Perhaps it’s been too long since your last date night and you need inspiration. Maybe you just want to know the truth about what we homeschoolers really do all day! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter.
Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. I receive a small commission whenever a product is purchased through these links. Occasionally I receive products in exchange for a review or giveaway post. The owner of this website, is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking http://geezgwen.com to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com. However, all opinions expressed on Geez Gwen are solely my own, and I only suggest products or services that I believe will be helpful to my readers.