Salted Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
Delicious Cookies With Wow Factor
These Salted Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprint cookies were discovered by T when I told him I was going to do a Christmas Cookie Series on the blog. I tasked him with finding some amazing cookies that would stand out as gorgeous, taste absolutely delicious, and be remembered and craved for every Christmas after their initial bake.
He delivered this recipe from Cooking Classy – Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies. And I have to tell you, they hit the mark for my every Christmas Cookie wish. They are show stoppers! Absolutely gorgeous, mouthwateringly delicious, and as soon as we finished them I wanted more. We all wanted more. And so will you and your friends. Be aware, you are making a commitment when you bake these and share them with family and friends. They are going to expect them, no, to need them for every Christmas season to come. Scoot over sugarplums!
** This post also contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.**
Ok, so let’s get to it. How do you create this Christmas Cookie magic? It all starts with the right ingredients.
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa (We always use Ghiradelli)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, yolk and white separated
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 15 Kraft caramels
- 2 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream
- Sea Salt
- 3 oz semi-sweet milk chocolate chips (we use Nestle)
- 2 tsp shortening
How To Prepare Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whip the softened butter and sugars until light and fluffy. (About two minutes on medium.)
- Mix in egg yolk, vanilla, and buttermilk. Place egg white in the refrigerator.
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat on low speed until all is incorporated. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Roll dough into a ball, flatten it and put in cling wrap. Place in refrigerator for forty-five minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- About five minutes before your chill time is up, beat your egg white until light and fluffy and place your pecans in a separate bowl.
- Shape chilled dough into one inch balls.
- Dip each one into egg white and then roll in the pecans before placing on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Using your thumb create a small indentation in each cookie. This is where your caramel will pool after the bake.
- Bake eight to ten minutes until set.
- Once removed, use a small spoon to recreate the indentation in each cookie.
- Allow three or four minutes to cool on cookie sheet and then place on cooling racks.
- Place caramel and cream into a microwave safe bowl and heat fifteen seconds at a time, stirring in between until completely melted. Careful not to burn.
- Carefully spoon caramel into each indentation.
- Place chocolate and shortening in microwave safe bowl and heat fifteen seconds at a time, stirring in between until completely melted. Pour into piping bag. Drizzle over cookies.
- Allow to set and then enjoy. Store remainder in an airtight storage container.
Yes, please! These Chocolate Caramel Pecan Thumbprint Cookies are what every Santa everywhere hopes to find on his plate Christmas Eve and what every friend, neighbor, mailman, and family member hopes to find in their cookie tin! They truly are out of this world. These cookies require a little more work than most but the results are worth the effort. Find out for yourself. This recipe bakes about twenty four lovely and delicous Christmas cookies!
Share This Recipe
Thanks for visiting Geez, Gwen today! We are so glad you found us! We are not believers in coincidence so we are confident you are here for a reason! Perhaps we can offer you tasty recipes? Maybe our inspirational quotes are just what you need in your life! Perhaps you’ve been wondering where to take that family vacation? Maybe you want to know the truth about what us homeschoolers really do all day! Maybe you love photography and see it as an art, just like me! Whatever it is, it’s clearly Destiny at its finest! Don’t let this opening door of opportunity slam shut! Run through by subscribing to our newsletter 🙂